The Great Beasts are fifteen in number, including The Four Fallen; they act as Erdas's 'gods'. Every great beast has a unique talisman, which in the game have special bonuses. Tellun the Elk is the most powerful of the Great Beasts. Two of the Great Beasts, Kovo the Ape and Gerathon the Serpent, sided with the Conquerors and were imprisoned by Tellun the Elk for their crimes. Several of their names are mentioned in multilplayer game quests.
The Great Beasts emerged when The Wyrm fell into Erdas and damaged The Evertree, which killed all animals except for the 15 Great Beasts. As life began to form again, the Great Beasts became Erdas's gods. Humans worship them as such, although some did not believe in them at all. The Great Beasts are much larger than normal animals and rarely show themselves to humans. Some consider humans to be a threat (Cabaro the Lion, for example) while others are more friendly towards them (Dinesh the Elephant).
Before the First Devourer War, Kovo the Ape and Gerathon the Serpent sided with humans in order to control all of Erdas. The other Great Beasts considered this a betrayal, as they were destroying Erdas, the world they were sworn to protect. Thus the Four Fallen fought against Kovo and Gerathon on the side of the Greencloaks, and are killed. Although the Four Fallen died, the Greencloaks still won the war, and Kovo and Gerathon were imprisoned. The war proved that Great Beasts could be killed, and that they are not as godly as previously believed to be.
The Four Fallen are reincarnated as spirit animals, animals who are bonded to humans. They lose their 'powers' and appear like normal animals. At the same time, Gerathon escapes from her prison and prepares to free Kovo as well. Once again, Kovo and Gerathon are able to raise an army and attempt to conquer Erdas, and the Four Fallen fight against them. Halawir the Eagle joins Kovo and Gerathon as well. The two sides pursue the Great Beasts' talismans, which the Conquerors gain most of them. Kovo is freed, but shortly after, the other Great Beasts confront him. There is a battle at The Evertree, where the Great Beasts begin to sacrifice themselves to protect their power from Kovo. In the end, the Great Beasts are all sacrificed (excluding the Four Fallen) and the Greencloaks win the war once again. The Great Beasts who died are later reincarnated as spirit animals as well.
List of the Great Beasts
|Briggan the Wolf (Male)||The Silver Wolf||Conor|
|Uraza the Leopard (Female)||The Amber Leopard||Abeke|
|Jhi the Panda (Female)||The Bamboo Panda||Meilin|
|Essix the Falcon (Female)||The Copper Falcon||Rollan|
|Arax the Ram (Male)||The Granite Ram||Grif Burnam|
|Dinesh the Elephant (Male)||The Slate Elephant||Kaiina|
|Rumfuss the Boar (Male)||The Iron Boar||Dawson Trunswick|
|Suka the Polar Bear (Female)||The Crystal Polar Bear||Anuqi|
|Cabaro the Lion (Male)||The Golden Lion||Kirat|
|Mulop the Octopus (Male)||The Coral Octopus||Niri|
|Ninani the Swan (Female)||The Marble Swan||Tasha|
|Halawir the Eagle (Male)||The Bronze Eagle||Cordalles|
|Gerathon the Serpent (Female)||The Jade Serpent||Raisha|
|Kovo the Ape (Male)||The Obsidian Ape||Takoda|
|Tellun the Elk (Male)||The Platinum Elk||Anda|
Main article: Talismans
- Amber Leopard: Increases attack speed and power.
- Granite Ram: Lets you jump very far and high.
- Slate Elephant: Makes your spirit animal grow gigantic.
- Crystal Polar Bear: Gives you giant, invisible arms.
- Iron Boar: Makes your skin impenetrable.
- Coral Octopus: Makes your body gelatinous so you can fit through small spaces, and lets you breath underwater.
- Bamboo Panda: Grants you the power to heal.
- Marble Swan: Creates the Nectar, and quickens the hands
- Copper Falcon: Strengthens your eyesight.
- Obsidian Ape: Reveals weakness.
- Jade Serpent: Creates and controls the Bile.
- Golden Lion: Ability to create a super sonic roar from mouth.
- Bronze Eagle: Allows the wearer to 'nudge' the air around them, as one's hand might divert water in a stream.
- Silver Wolf: Sharpens the senses of smell and hearing, sometimes to the extent of prophecy.
- Platinum Elk: Grants freedom from the Bile without breaking the bond, and may be able to cancel out another talisman's powers.
- The talismans you get in the game are most likely the ones that will not be retrieved in the books.
- Dinesh states in Blood Ties that the Great Beasts are like siblings. They are all stewards of Erdas (Even Gerathon and Kovo) and no animal, as great as they are, can become a Great Beast.
- Unique Melee Weapons for Level 40 in the game are based off of the Talismans.
- Briggan is the only male member of The Four Fallen.
- The great beasts are also stated as being gigantic versions of their animal counterparts; Arax was said to twice the size of a big horse, Suka was at least three stories tall when she stood on her back legs, and Conor described Rumfuss as being as tall as a carriage. Kovo was described to be the size of a castle turret. Dinesh was huge, even for an elephant. Briggan nearly as tall as a elephant, Essix's body as big as a flying wolf with a wingspan of several men, Jhi being half the size of Suka so about 2 men standing on eachothers shoulders, and Uraza having claws the size of a mans arm
- In a livestream, the mods of the Scholastic website stated that there will be only fifteen Great Beasts when asked if there will be a new set of them.