Nilo's landscapes are desert, jungle, and savanna. Zebras, wildebeest, hyena, and big cats live on the continent. Water is scarce, and so is the food, but despite the living conditions being harsh, many people thrive in Nilo. Houses are often made from mud, animal skins, and thatched roofs. Nilo is known for its export of coffee and its warm climate.
As mentioned throughout the books, Nilo has many myths and legends. These include the legend of the Rain Dancer and the Stormspeaker, and Kovo the Ape's folktale mentioned in The Book of Shane: Vendetta. The continent also houses The Evertree, the most important location in all of Erdas.
Towns, Cities, and Landmarks
- Okaihee: Abeke's home village.
- The Evertree: a huge tree, which is also the origin of the spirit animal bond.
- Cabaro's Oasis: the home of Cabaro the Lion, and a major location in Rise and Fall.
- Zourtzi: a revered military fort, which is owned by Faisel, one of the most wealthy merchants on the continent. It is also a major location in The Return.
- Caylif: A town with a large marketplace and another location in The Return.
- The Red Orchard: An orchard which housed Uraza's talisman in the first Devourer war.
Notable Characters from Nilo
- Abeke: a main protagonist in the series, and the summoner of Uraza.
- The High Chieftain of Nilo: the leader of Nilo.
- Irtike: one of the Heroes' companions who assisted in finding Cabaro's talisman.
- Karmo: a recurring character who was bonded to a hammerkop, a bird featured in the Rain Dancer legend. He later appears as a Redcloak.
- Tembo: the first Greencloak.
- Kirat: the nephew of Tarik and the summoner of Cabaro.
- Nefrini: a legendary Niloan hero, and the wielder of the Stormspeaker.
- Nilo is an anagram for "lion".